Environmental Systems Modeling
Our Environmental Systems Modeling team applies our experience and innovation to tackle difficult problems with enthusiasm. We have over 20 years of experience working closely with diverse clients, including grower associations, federal agencies such as the NRCS/EPA, and regional to multi-national agrochemical companies on assessing field and watershed scale water quality. Whether the challenge requires established or novel modeling tools, we seek methods for improving efficiency and expediting outcomes. We are continually learning new skills and applying our expertise to a broadening range of environmental issues.
Our expertise focuses on:
- Agricultural and urban hydrology and water quality, including nutrients, organic chemicals, and emerging contaminants
- Pesticide environmental fate in air, water, and soil
- Application of regulatory models in the US, Canada, and Europe
- Climate change impacts on the environment and infrastructure
- Farm-system modeling
- Integration of web–based environmental model interfaces and cloud computing architecture
- Development and customization of environmental models and user interfaces
The approach we follow when conducting environmental modeling studies involves:
- Understanding our client’s perspective and working together to define the goals and outcomes of the project.
- Building an inventory of existing datasets, resources, and models with the client.
- Incorporating state-of-the-art geographical information system (GIS) analysis, database tools, and both established and customized modeling tools.
- Rigorous quality control throughout the model development, application, and analysis process.
- Providing project deliverables including technical reports, publications in peer-reviewed journals, presentations, and web and desktop tools that clearly communicate project outcomes to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Our scientists regularly attend local, national, and international conferences on environmental and water quality modeling in order to share our project approaches and technical innovations with other leading scientists in the field. Examples of our work can be found within our expertise focus pages below.